Emerson’s Birthday

Sorry I’ve been MIA friends! Being a Mommy is the most amazing thing I have ever done and I spend most of my day staring at my little princess! But I did want to share her birth story before I forget all of the details. Just a fair warning- it’s going to be super long and detailed (and boring for most of you) but it’s more for me than anyone else. Smile

Monday May 16th
I went to my regular weekly doctor’s appointment. I went hoping that he would say I was making progress and that he would schedule my induction so that we could make sure Jesse would be there. To my surprise, my blood pressure way way above normal and my doctor seemed concerned. He told me he wanted me to go to the lab to do some tests and then come back the following day. He suspected toxemia and told me that if the labs came back the way he was expecting them to that we would have to get the baby out the next day. He put me on bed rest until he made a decision on what need to be done.
Needless to say, I didn’t sleep at all that night. I was excited about the possibility of meeting our baby girl but I was scared that my blood pressure would effect her health and worried that Jesse wouldn’t make it for the birth. I was also a bit stressed about being on bed rest. I had so many things I still needed to get ready for Emerson and the last thing I wanted to do was lay in bed!

Tuesday May 17th
11:30 am- I went to the lab to complete the tests ordered by my doctor.
12:30 pm- I stopped by Wal-Mart for a prescription and decided to check my blood pressure. It was even higher than the day before so I had a feeling that we would be meeting Emerson very soon.
1:00 pm- Even though I was on bed rest, my Mom and I decided to go out to eat. We thought it might be our last good meal for a while so we really tried to enjoy it.
2:00 pm- When we got home I packed my hospital bag and her diaper bag. Now I know why people do this early!
4:00 pm- We got to the doctor’s office and saw a packed waiting room. By this time my blood pressure was even higher because I was getting so nervous.
4:30 pm- They finally took us back. At this point my blood pressure was 156/96- the highest it had been. My doctor came in and told me that he was still concerned about my blood pressure, but he was waiting for my labs to come back.  While he out, we could hear him talking and saying my name but couldn’t quite make out what he was saying. He came back in and told me that my labs showed that I had the beginnings of toxemia and that he was sending me to Labor and Delivery right away.
5:30 pm- After calling everyone to tell them the news, I registered at the hospital and was sent up to L&D. I took my very last belly picture. I was 37 weeks and 6 days pregnant.
 emerson 054
7:30 pm- They started my IV and hooked me up to the monitors. They monitored Emerson’s heart rate for several hours before beginning the induction.
9:00 pm- First dose of Cytotec
9:30 pm- Took a walk around L&D to try to get things moving
We finally tried to get some sleep but really didn’t get much because of the monitors and the constant checks by the nurses. I knew at this point that Emerson’s birthday definitely wouldn’t be May 17th.
emerson 055Ready for baby
Wednesday May 18th
2:00 am-Second dose of Cytotec (very little progress at this point)
6:00 am- Third dose of Cytotec. By this time I was starving because I hadn’t had anything to eat since lunch the day before. Luckily, my doctor allows a liquid diet before active labor. I have never been more thrilled to drink broth! Smile
9:35 am- Finally started Pitocin drip. I started having some regular contractions. They weren’t painful so I was feeling pretty good.
emerson 058
9:55 am- Emerson’s heart rate started going down sharply after each contraction. Pitocin was stopped so that we could monitor her heart rate.
10:00 am- Jesse boarded his plane to make the long trip from Africa. We knew he wasn’t going to make it for the birth, but we were excited that he would be there soon after. This was the last time I talked to him until he landed in Texas. He tried calling and checking his email during his travel, but had trouble with his credit card. He traveled over 35 hours without knowing if his baby girl was born and how we were doing.
10:30 am- Dr. came in and inserted a balloon catheter to dilate the cervix. This was probably the most painful part of the whole process. It caused my cervix to dilate more in an hour than it normally would in 5 or 6 hours. I started having very painful contractions and asked for my epidural. The nurse said I had to get in one more bag of IV fluid before she could get me the epidural.  This was the longest hour of my life! I kept watching the IV bag and praying that it would empty quickly.
11:30 am- Finally got my epidural! It did not hurt at all and started working immediately! I am SO GLAD that I decided to go with an epidural. I honestly don’t think I could have made it through labor and delivery without it.
12:15 pm- Doctor came in and broke my water. They continued to monitor my contractions, which were two minutes apart. Progress was still slow because we had to stop the Pitocin.
3:00 pm Started Pitocin again! Yay!
4:00 pm- Dilated to 5 cm
6:00 pm-  Dilated to 7 cm- getting closer
7:00 pm- Doctor came in to check me and I was 100 complete and ready to push! Woohoo! I started shaking because I was so nervous. Even though I was completely numb (especially my left leg) I was kind of scared about the actual delivery. The nurse got the bed set up and my doctor came back.
emerson 060Getting ready to meet my baby girl!
7:15 pm- I finally started pushing! I couldn’t feel my contractions because of the epidural so the nurse and the doctor had to tell me when to push. After pushing for a while, the doctor told me that Emerson was stuck because my pubic bone is curved downwards. I continued to push but was not making any progress.
7:30 pm- My doctor used the vacuum to try to help Emerson out. Despite his pulling and my pushing she was still stuck. My doctor stopped for a few minutes and I started getting really scared that he was going to decide that I needed a C-section. I didn’t want one at all after everything I had gone through to have her.
7:45 pm- The doctor decided to try forceps to help get her out. I continued to push with every contraction and he continued to work.
8:09 pm- Our beautiful princess was finally born! She didn’t cry right away and I said something about it but my doctor said she was fine. My Mom cut the cord and she let out a little cry. They laid her on my chest immediately and it was the most amazing feeling I have ever felt in my life.  I couldn’t help but bawl after finally seeing my sweetheart’s beautiful face.
emerson 061
emerson 063
emerson 065
They immediately took her over to clean her up and weigh her.  I watched from my bed as they aspirated her mouth and nose. She wasn’t crying very loudly and sounded more like a little kitten than a baby. The nurse told me that they were going to go ahead and take her to the nursery a little early. I didn’t know what was wrong with her but the nurse assured me that she would be okay. They brought her over for one more snuggle and kiss and then took her away.
emerson 067
emerson 068
My doctor stitched me up- I had third degree tearing due to the difficult birth. My doctor told me that he recommends that I deliver by c-section in the future because of the shape of my pelvis/pubic bone and the degree of tearing that I had.  (Sorry if this is too much information!!!) Winking smile It seemed to take forever and all I could think about was how my baby girl was doing.
11:00 pm-  After being given Morphine in my epidural and being hooked up to  more IV’s and a heart monitor, I was finally moved to Post-Partum and still hadn’t seen Emerson since her birth. I was really starting to worry that something was wrong so I called down to the nursery to check on her. They told me that she had swallowed a little bit of fluid and that her temperature was low so they were trying to regulate it before bringing her to me.

Thursday May 19th
1:30 am- I finally got to hold my baby girl. I never really understood what people meant when they talked about the unconditional love that they have for their children until this moment. Holding her and staring at her sweet face- I felt a love like I have never known. All of my anxiety and worry was completely gone. I knew then that I was born to be Emerson’s mother and that it would be the most important job that I would ever have.
emerson 070
emerson 071
We spent the rest of the day resting and cuddling and waiting for Jesse to arrive.  He finally made it around 8:00 pm. It was such an amazing feeling to see Emerson with her Daddy.
emerson 085
We were finally discharged on Friday around 5:30 and have been enjoying our new life as a family of three!
more emerson 017
more emerson 013
More pictures to come soon!
Rachel and John said...

oh Tami! beautiful story!

Lindsay said...

congratulations!!! she is so precious :)
love love love that last photo :)

Rebekah said...

I love your love for her! She is just beautiful and I love the picture of Jesse and Emerson. Too sweet! I'm so glad things are going well. And, I have to say. You look beautiful after just having a baby!

Brittney Galloway said...

She's just precious! I'm so glad mom and baby are doing well and that Jesse was able to get there so soon after!

Christine said...

Such a wonderful story! Congrats on your baby girl :)

Kit said...

Congrats!!! Such a great story!!! I am so glad that everything is going well and Jesse made it to the hospital (even if it was after was born)! You look great too :)

Gretchen said...

Loved reading your birth story...I was crying by the end of it!! I'm so excited for you, and so happy that you and Jesse have been so blessed with sweet baby Emerson!!! Keep those pictures and updates coming!!

MJW said...

Congratulations!!! My nephew was also born last week on the 18th.

Cat said...


Any delivery that ends with healthy Mama and healthy baby is a good delivery. I've loved reading this, and so glad y'all are well and happy. Emerson is absolutely gorgeous, and you look amazing in the pics . . . not at all like you've just been through an exhausting delivery.

Hugs to you and Jesse.

Amy (the FRO)

Lauren said...

What a beautiful story. Congrats on the arrival of Emerson. Hope you are all enjoying your time together! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Michelle said...

Oh. My. Gosh!!!! What a beautiful little DOLL!!! She is adorable! Congratulations!

You look positively gorgeous waiting on Emerson's arrival! You are glowing! I love this post...I can't wait to get married in October and start my family!

Have a wonderful Wednesday, and congrats again!!

Jen said...

Oh Tami what a story; thanks for sharing! I loved reading it. She is just beautiful and you look fabulous too!
I JUST posted Carter's story last night too (these little ones take up a lot of our bloggging time huh? LOL)

The Barker's said...

She's beautiful!!!! I think writing out the birth story is so special!!! Might be fun to read every year in her birthday!!!! I'm also putting a copy in her baby book!!!

Also, aren't epidurals wonderful?!? Love it!!!

Amy Young said...

This post had my eyes watering up! I am SO HAPPY for you guys!! Hope you are healing up well!

Wish we could be around for all of this!!! :)

ajs {of MN} said...

oh and yah!!!... your baby girl was born on my bday!! yah! it's a great day to have a bday ;)

xoxo- a

© Wherever We're Together. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.