12.30.2017

Our Big Move

Hey everyone! I hope you had an amazing Christmas. I can't believe we are just one day way from 2018! It's been a bit crazy around here so I thought I'd write a quick post to catch y'all up on our move since it has pretty much taken over our lives. 

Our buyers hit their due diligence date on the 22nd and we were finally able to start looking for a place to live. We found out from base housing that we were number 11 on the waiting list and couldn't get a house for 3-5 months. We decided to look for a rental in our area so that Emerson could stay in her school. This actually proved to be harder than I expected. Any time we found something that we liked, it had an availability date of  February or later. Considering we need to move out next weekend, that just wouldn't work. 

One evening before bed, I was browsing through rentals again and saw that a new one had come up in the neighborhood right next to ours. It was available one day after our closing with this house. We knew the logistics would be more difficult but we felt it would be worth it. I immediately texted my realtor and she told me to go ahead and put in our application online and then we could see it in the morning.

The next morning we went to see it and we fell in love. It has a great backyard and tons of closet space.  We'll even be able to bring the swing-set! 
We got a call from the management company later in the day and they had the worst news. The current tenants needed to move back their move out date by about 10 days.  This meant if we still wanted to go with this house we would have to put all of our stuff in storage and find somewhere to stay between closing and move in. After talking about it we decided to cancel our application and keep looking. We looked at just about every rental online and we just couldn't find anything that we liked that had a sooner availability date. We were feeling pretty desperate at this point. We didn't want to have to deal with the logistics of the delayed move in, but we also didn't want to rent something we didn't like.  We decided we needed lunch at our favorite Mediterranean restaurant to talk about it and come up with a plan.
We talked and talked and came to a decision. The next morning we called the company back and told them we had changed our minds. We had to reapply and then wait for the owner's approval. Of course, the office was closed for the Christmas holiday and that made our wait even longer. We finally found out last Wednesday that we were officially approved and even the dogs could come too. (We had inquired about another house and they only allowed one pet. The property manager asked Jesse if there was any way we could get rid of one of our dogs!)


So, we are super excited about this rental and we think it's going to be a great fit.  We are not so excited about the moving process! We decided to rent a storage unit and we have slowly been moving our stuff over. We have one week to finish getting everything out. It kind of stinks to have to move everything twice but it is what it is. As far as a temporary place to live, we decided to rent a cottage on the beach on base. It was the most cost effective and we could avoid having to board the dogs since they can come too! So this will be our temporary home for a few weeks. Too bad it's too cold to go out on the beach.
We went yesterday to sign our seller's paperwork and now we just wait for the actual closing in a little over a week. 

Emerson was beyond excited to help the paralegal with her stamp.
Although it's been a little crazy and stressful, we are still happy with our decision to sell! There are a lot of factors that went into the decision and I think we're going to breathe a big sigh of relief when it's all said and done. We've made so many amazing memories in this house but we are definitely ready to say goodbye.


© Wherever We're Together. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.